This is the view I hold today, and hope to die still holding
That long-dreamt dreams of commonwealth thro’ history are unfolding
Where there are neither rich nor poor, nor overworked nor idle.
No master nor no mastered one, nor any bit nor bridle.
- First I claim good health for all, and next good education
And then the right to leisure time, the joys of recreation
And then I claim the right to work, in work feel no resentment
And the right to share my labour’s fruits, and live in quiet contentment.
- Our rotten sham society heaps wealth we fools are making,
Upon the rich, who richer grow and only live by taking.
By harming one we all are harmed, by exploitation sundered.
On profit’s wheel we are ground down, by competition rendered.
- William Morris (all parts) [mp3, 3.5Mb]
- William Morris (high) [mp3, 3.5Mb]
- William Morris (middle) [mp3, 3.5Mb]
- William Morris (low) [mp3, 3.5Mb]
Learn and sing along: